Sunday, June 26, 2011

No Photos Allowed

I was at a shopping mall over the weekend with the intention of buying a few props for an upcoming family photo session. I was browsing some local handmade products when I chance upon these cute paperweights.

I pulled out my camera and snapped away. I suddenly felt like someone is watching me and lo when I looked up, other customers were looking at me with bewilderment and a sales lady looked like she wanted to say something, but hesitated to approach me. I felt self-conscious so I put on the lens cap and proceeded my way. Not far from the racks where I was snapping photos, I saw a sign "No picture taking allowed". :-( I felt guilty, but at the same time confused.

I do not understand why most shops in my country do not allow photos taken for their merchandise. Don't they know that there are already a lot of bloggers out there who can do free marketing promotion for their product and their store? (Scratch my head).

Anyways, I am still happy because I have snapped the photos I want and how lucky am I to find that the tail of the psuedo-fish made from seashells is painted goldenrod.

project64 button

ArtsyBelle Images
Lifestyle. Creative. Moments
♥ Thank You ♥

9 thoughts:

Susan June 27, 2011 at 11:50 AM

It is strange that they don't want you to take pictures. I'm glad you were able to capture these. Great goldenrod find!

Bel June 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM

@ Susan. Yup, it is indeed strange. It's a frustration of mine because often I go to a place where there are nice knick knacks waiting to be captured in a photo, but I am not allowed to do so. :-(

Danelle June 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Wow! I can't believe those are made of seashells. I used to work in a store (in the US) and the reason they didn't allow picture taking was because sometimes competitors would come take pictures and steal ideas. I'm guessing that's why a lot of stores don't like it. But it's no fun for us photographers!

Cat @ No Wooden Spoons June 28, 2011 at 4:07 AM

I know, I never get that no photography rule. I love these captures though and glad you got them!

mamaof2gymnasts June 28, 2011 at 4:19 AM

I ran into the same thing. A few weeks ago, my family and I visited NYC. We went into a clothing store that had really cool old cameras displayed. I thought, "What a cool photo op!" I proceeded to get my camera out and was ready to snap a few shots when I was told by a rather large gentleman that there was no picture taking allowed. I was very disappointed!!
What cute little knick knacks! You captured great shots of them!

Karen June 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Beautiful shots! I love the DOF. I've had the same experience in shops here as well. Once I asked for permission and the owner was happy to oblige when I told her I wanted them for a scrapbooking/blog project. Another time, not so much.

Lisa June 28, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Danelle is probably correct. They are concerned people will take a photo and then go create the craft themselves...and not buy it from them? Glad you got a few shots off before they discovered you! They do look like fun little guys to have around the house.

Maryvel Friesen June 28, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Those are really neat! I haven't have the courage to take pictures in a store yet, because like Danelle says they would think that you are trying to steal and idea or something! But good for you! Those are great shots!

Miriam June 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM

I have had the same thing happen to me but then I started asking saying that I was looking for some thing or colour for a photographic project and have been lucky with a good response , it took a while for courage to come though! This is a great find!